KINGSTON HOUSING AUTHORITY IS SEEKING RESUMES FOR DIRECTOR OF FACILITIES
Resumes should be submitted on or before April 21, 2017. Resumes can also be mailed or brought in person to 132 Rondout Drive, Kingston, New York 12401.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:Manages and supervises the operation of all of the facilities of the Kingston Housing Authority and grounds; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Under general direction, the incumbent of this class is responsible for directing the Facilities Management Section of the Kingston Housing Authority, setting policies, procedures and managing the operation of all the buildings, apartments, systems, grounds, parking lots and playgrounds of the Kingston Housing Authority. This includes responsibility for supervising and coordinating the activities of a maintenance staff and of contracted services involved in the maintenance, repair, cleaning, upgrades, heating, ventilating, and air conditioning of facilities at various sites as well as the preparation of vacated apartments for rental, consistent with HUD standards. Responsibility also involves evaluating and purchasing equipment and products; writing specifications and reviewing bids from vendors; developing and monitoring service contracts and product warrantees; planning and scheduling work projects; and implementing IAQ, OSHA and other safety standards. In addition this position is responsible for the modernization of facilities including new construction, capital improvements, and project management. The position requires availability during evenings, nights, weekends and emergency situations, as required. Supervision is exercised over the maintenance mechanic and maintenance laborers and contract workers.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Selects, trains, develops and evaluates subordinate staff.
- Develops, schedules, and manages a preventive maintenance program and work order system
- using a computerized system.
- Conducts regular inspections of buildings and grounds, especially heating plants, operating
- systems and special equipment.
- Ensures that subordinate staff conform to requirement of IAQ, OSHA, HUD and other
- regulations, professional standards, and policies.
- Prepares compliance reports as required.
- Evaluates work performance and prepares written documentation of conduct of employees to the Executive Director.
- Plans, develops and enhances operating systems and insures appropriate controls.
- Identifies and reports mechanical and structural deficiencies and the need for repair or
- Prepares and investigates complaints by tenants, staff and others concerning building
- maintenance and operational problems.
- Participates in planning and preparing proposals for new construction and capital
- improvements to buildings and facilities.
- Insures compliance to all procurement procedures.
- Oversees the work of Architects, Engineers, Contractors, and sub-contractors through project management and field inspections.
- Insures adequate cleaning materials, tools, equipment and supplies for operational needs.
- Inspects, monitors the work and prepares reports on the work of service and construction
- Interviews vendors, contractors and consultants.
- Schedules staff to assure adequate coverage for regular and special projects.
- Investigates and reports on damage to buildings, apartments, systems, grounds, parking lots, playgrounds with recommendations for repair and prevention.
- Prepares budget and cost estimates with justifications; and monitors expenditures for cost
- Maintains automated records of time and materials expended, supplies inventory, and projections of workload, and produces computer generated reports from the data base.
- Coordinates work with Police and Fire Departments; HUD; utility, electric and cable companies; and other public official and agencies.
- Participates in snow removal and ice control activities.
- Responds to emergencies on a 24 hour/7 day per week basis, assesses it, and organizes staff to take required actions, as indicated.
- Tests various maintenance materials by practical application.
- Performs related professional trade and administrative tasks to insure the smooth and effective operation of the division.
- Prepares and implements annual maintenance schedule.
- Develops and implements capital equipment repair, maintenance and replacement plan, in accordance with maintenance policy.
- Reviews and updates maintenance policies on a regular basis.
- Coordinates with Housing Project Manager to assure annual inspection of properties required by KHA, HCR and HUD.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of public housing building maintenance and operation activities; thorough knowledge of heating plant and air conditioning operations and safety precautions; thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of coordinating maintenance staff and materials; comprehensive knowledge of building maintenance trades and operations; thorough knowledge of digital controls, security systems, and related applications; ability to write specifications and draft plans for bid purposes; ability to understand, inspect and remedy defects in the maintenance and operation of buildings and equipment; ability to plan, organize, coordinate, train and supervise a staff having diverse skills in heating, plumbing, electrical, computer network wiring, telecommunications systems, air conditioning, carpentry, painting, other trades and grounds maintenance personnel; ability to maintain efficient and effective working relationships among subordinates and coworkers; ability to apply critical attitude in the inspection and evaluation of work completed and in progress; ability to communicate, understand and execute oral and written directions; ability to prepare preliminary budget and renovation cost estimates; mechanical aptitude; knowledge of HUD, OSHA, and other environmental laws that impact housing building facilities; dependability; ability to perform in a reasonable manner the essential functions of the position.
- Graduation from High School or possession of a High School Equivalency diploma and
- Associate’s Degree* in Facilities or Building Management, Construction Management or related field; OR
- Four (4) years’ experience in the operation and maintenance of a large housing facility, which must have included or been supplemented by supervisory experience over a maintenance staff.
NOTE: One (1) year of a building trade sponsored training course may substitute for one year of the above experience.
*NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be from a regionally accredited institution or one recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Department of Education as a post-secondary degree granting institution
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATION:
Possession of a valid New York State Driver’s License at time of application and maintained throughout employment.